Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Mother Teresa's Anyway Poem

"If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous; 

Be happy anyway."

Mother Teresa's Anyway Poem

People are often unreasonable, illogical and self centered;
Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.
What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got anyway.
You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and your God;
It was never between you and them anyway.

There is so much to say about this poem, but the line I quoted at the top is what has been rolling around in my mind for days.

Most of the time when I don't post for a long time it's because I'm busy. 
Some of the time I use busy as an excuse for not posting.
Sometimes I don't post because I feel like I HAVE found serenity and happiness.
Which doesn't always make interesting blog posts, and sometimes makes people jealous.
So, rather than share my joy I keep it to myself because I have so much MORE than other people, or I have what they want...
but that's not what Mother Teresa said to do.
Because that's not what the Bible says to do.

"You are the light of the world.  A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl.  Instead they put it on a stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:14-16

Coincidentally, while looking for this passage, I found Mark 4:25, "Whoever has will be given more, whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him," 

I feel like I am on the receiving end of "more," that I "have," and have been given "more." More family, more love, more children, more health, more happiness and it all of that, serenity. 

I haven't written because I've been enjoying MORE of what God has given me - more boys, more life, more adventures, more love than I imagined!

And I am happy.

Busy, tired, and happy.  

No comments: