Monday, November 29, 2010

What is a Texas Sheetcake?

(This is a special entry for Bonnie)

I could just tell you it's a big chocolate cake made on a jelly roll pan.  But that's boring and doesn't really make it sound as delicious as it is.  So I decided to Google it and find you a better explanation.  And I did!  In the process, I stumbled across an incredible food/photography blog called Homesick Texan.

Click on her link and you'll go straight to her entry all about her family's Texas Sheetcake tradition, her mouth-watering photos of her own recipe, and of course, the recipe.  I was going to give you my Texas Sheetcake recipe but there's no way I'll do that now!  I'm going home and baking hers!

Best of all, I'm excited to have stumbled across a great new blog to add to my bloglist.  Anyone know of any good ones you don't see on my list?  Of course I love multiples moms' blogs, but what are your favorites, readers?

I don't have a photo of the kids eating Texas sheetcake, but I do have today's post-nap-Yo-Gabba-Gabba-Teddy-Grahams-at-Grandmas-house-pic.

It's not Texas sheetcake, but it's still good!

In other news, my grandma has successfully taught me the double-crochet stitch and how to crochet in the round, so I've finished my striped scarf, hubs' sushi-scarf, and I'm working on Santa hats for the boys.  Thanksgiving break is the perfect time to let everyone else change the babies and practice my stitches.  After I put the boys to bed at my mom's, I crochet while listening to my parents' nightly debate between the Hallmark and Discovery channels.  "I never pictured you as a CROTCH-et-er," my dad tells me.

"No?  What did you picture me as?" I ask.

"I don't know, but not a CROTCH-et-er.  Don't make me a scarf, I'm not a scarf guy."


"Okay, Dad," I say, not that I was entertaining that thought, anyhow.  "What would you like instead?" 


"How about some golf club covers?"

Uh, okay, Dad.  I'll see what I can do about that.  In the meantime, how about some Texas Sheetcake?

1 comment:

Bonnie@TheFragileXFiles said...

Wow, my own special entry! ;-)

Okay so pardon me if this is dumb, but.....how is a Texas Sheet Cake different from a regular chocolate cake? Other than the icing being poured on while the cake is still warm? I'm a non-baker, things have to be spelled out for me.....

And you've always seemed like a crotch-et-er to me. I mean that from the heart. ;-)