Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving Recovery

That's what we're in this week - half back to normal, half recovering, and starting to plan The Christmas Trip.  Fortunately, all went well on our whirlwind trip to MI to visit the families, despite being cut almost a day short due to full flights.  Unfortunately, I did not take any photos.  I'm really stinking it up lately with taking photos.  We'll blame the baby, whom I've taken to calling "Three," because I don't like saying "it," "him," or "her."

Some highlights from Thanksgiving week:

This is N and M anxiously awaiting Thanksgiving at my in-laws.  Their shirts say, "I like turkey with my game!"  They were so hungry that they climbed into their booster seats and waited for food while watching football.  This was taken by Aunt L and lifted from her Facebook page just so that this post wasn't completely void of photos.  They ate a sliced apple, applesauce, sweet potatoes covered in marshmallows and two bites of turkey, then were excused to play so the rest of us could eat as the food arrived for us!  Maybe someday we'll all eat together - maybe someday they'll eat a real meal.

Grandma and Grandpa babysat so Hubs and I could have Friday afternoon off to do some much needed shopping.  Basically, we bought his Christmas gifts and not much else, but that's okay - like I'm going to get to shop for him without the kids sometime in the next 3 weeks?  Highly doubtful.  It was fun to just spend the day together, without the boys, when we were both wide awake and not dead tired, like we are every. single. night. when they finally fall asleep. And to eat in a restaurant like real adults - you know, in peace, without high charis and spilled milk and ketchup.  It was lovely.  (In case you were wondering, we did NOT shop Thanksgiving night, overnight, or Black Friday morning.  We are not those kind of people, like some relatives we know.  You know who you are.)

In five days, my twin boys usually take 10 naps total. Last week, there was only ONE nap taken by little M on Saturday afternoon.  We have seen some SERIOUS sleep deprivation and I am now 100% convinced that my kids are not ready to give up naps.  In fact, N pulled the covers over himself last night and this afternoon, turned over and didn't make another sound!  (That's a miracle, in case you weren't sure.) What I despised last week (and nearly drove me off a cliff) is now my sweet peace this week.  There is a silver lining to everything.

Sunday was kind of whirlwind because we attended our home church in MI, then wolfed down lunch at the food court in the mall.  But I add it to my list of highlights because at the food court, we were able to share a meal with my parents and grandmother, Hubs' parents and siblings and us with the boys, all together.  The boys were happy because they got nuggets and fries (what else?), everyone was happy because they got to see them eat them (and eat what they wanted) and I was happy because I was 6 seats away when the milk tipped over and doused my mother-in-law's purse. I warned them all to watch those milk cups, so I am absolved from ruining her Coach purse.  See why I don't wear or carry anything new? 

And we can't wait to do it all over again in 3 weeks! 

1 comment:

camaulds said...

Thanksgiving Day is the best day of the year & this year was one of the best ever! The boys are so well behaved! You & Steve are doing such a great job! I'm never happier these past 2 1/2 years than when we're all together! I can't imagine a more fun time than playing with Nathan & Matthew!

I savor these moments!