John 14:27 Says, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."
Jesus promises us his peace. Even though I was not directly affected by the tragic events that occurred in Boston or West, Texas this past week, and my heart prays for those who have been, I have been watching and listening to far too much news. If you really listen, all you hear is that the world has gone crazy, that it is full of evil people out to get us, that there is no hope for the future. Perhaps Carmen had it right back in the '90's: "The only hope for America is Jesus/the only hope for our country is Him..."
When things go badly, I tend to chime in with my own trials. My mind always turns to what's gone wrong - the weather, the flood in our crawl space killing the heater, the bills in the mail, the diaper rash on my baby's bottom, the van needs new brakes, and on and on. But Phillipians 4:8 says, "Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things."
So I spent some time with the news off, the radio off, the incessant chatter of PBS cartoon shows off. I was reminded to celebrate the Goodness of God, all the things that go right and well. Because I live a blessed life, have healthy kids, a wonderful Husband and family...my life is full of His goodness and grace and blessings.
So here are a few good things that happened for us during the last 7 days of crazy current events. Perhaps they are not spiritual or even surprising, but normal good stuff.
1. Haircuts for the kids and fresh highlights for me. Hubs is getting his hair cut this week too. Gotta look sharp - Uncle D's wedding is in 3 days!
2. My renewed MN teaching license arrived yesterday, valid until 2018!
3. We had some positive news in regard to our MN townhouse. Namely, our good tenant is staying.
4. I've been researching, shopping for, and cooking some dairy free recipes - N and Hubs are both needing to avoid it. This week I attempted coconut shrimp for the first time ever and it was successful. The kids both ate their required share, so that was a success, too. And I made hummus because I bought a big jar of tahini (for a recipe that flopped) and didn't know what to do with all that! Well, lo and behold, I can make a tasty hummus, of which I consumed a massive quantity for dinner last night night.
5. MY FRIEND A HAD HER BABY! Yes, sweet little baby girl C was born last Friday in the cold snowy MN spring. Mama and baby are home and doing well. I'm so happy and can't wait to hold her little treasure next month!
6. I picked up the boys' photo CD and ordered their pictures. I can't wait to get the 11X14's up on the wall!
7. I also completed a wall art piece that I've been wanting to do for months. It turned out well in the end, but like most Pinterest inspired projects, I'm learning, you just have to make it up as you go along.
8. Saturday's forecast is currently 62 and partly sunny - good wedding weather, praise the Lord!
Are you thinking on things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy? I'm challenged to do so.