There, I said it! It's been in the works for months, but only became official the Friday before Christmas, and since then it's been a whirlwind of holidays, house hunting, traveling, potty training, packing and purging.
Only Hubs and I would move to Minnesota in January (2004) and then 9 years later decide that moving across 4 states should again be done during the coldest month of the year! This time, we are doing it with twin 3 year olds, an 8 month old, and a whole lot more stuff.
Saying goodbye to our wonderful friends here has not been easy. Some of them have been with us since the very beginning of our time here, which was quite near the very beginning of our marriage! They will be terribly missed. However, as I was packing a box this morning containing our VHS player and assorted tapes - including our wedding, which is why we keep it (and somewhere I know I have negatives(!) of our photos) - I thought about how much technology has advanced and how it will help us keep in touch. I mean, we had to call our parents on a LANDLINE when we moved out here! Who does that? Now we have laptops, a blog, skype, iphones with Facetime technology....not to mention flight benefits!
Hubs' job will not change - he will just fly out of DTW, which was not an option for us prior to a month ago. This move will allow us to be within a 10 minutes drive or less from the following people, which will be so wonderful just for wonderful-ness sake and we love them, but especially when Hubs travels on his long business trips:
- Grandma and Papa K and Great Grandma K
- Great Grandpa P and GiGi
- Aunt M, Uncle D, cousins S and E
- Grandma and Grandpa A
- Aunt L and Uncle K (to be)
- Uncle D and Aunt J (to be) and cousin A (to be)
- Great Grandpa and Great Grandma S
- Uncle A
- Great-Aunts, Great-Uncles, Second cousins, too!
I wrote "to be" because Hubs' two siblings are GETTING MARRIED in April and May! How exciting that we will be there for the weddings! Well, not that wouldn't have been, but we will sleep in our own beds afterward;)
- Why? To be near to our families. Nine years ago as newlyweds, we had no idea how much we would need them once the babies arrived. It took 7 years, but when they arrived, boy, did they ever! Three boys in just under 3 years!
- Where? The same town my parents and grandparents live in:)
- How? DIY! We drove the van back to MI for Christmas, then flew back and have been a one vehicle family for a month. It's had its moments and I'm looking forward to getting my minivan back, but I'm holding up better than I thought. C has been poked a lot more than he's used to, sitting between the twins in his carrier:) Then the kids and I will fly back to MI with the help of Grandma A and Aunt L while Hubs and Grandpa A drive a truck.
- Who? The 5 of us. There were just 2 when we moved out here! Wow!
- When? Feb 1. which is just 13 days away...kinda freakin' out now that I just typed that.
P.S. Oh, and that's why the twins are attending preschool beginning Feb. 5...because it's the first day I can get them in! And they'll be attending the Catholic School I attended for 8 years of elementary and middle school. So exciting!