Friday, February 11, 2011

Dacryoplasty Day

Following any general or intravenous anesthesia, or if you are on any pain medication, avoid alcoholic beverages, driving motor vehicles, or operating hazardous equipment for 24 hours.

We had a really hard time keeping N from operating his garbage trucks, tow truck, helicopter and bus this afternoon, since he wasn't allowed to operate them according to his post-surgery instructions.

The dacryoplasty was a breeze and N was an absolute gem.  Even though he wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything after midnight last night, he never once complained or even asked for a drink.  I felt justified in not breaking him from the pacifier (or eebie, as he calls it) today!  However, because everything has to be fair here, that meant M wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything either!  We whisked them from their cribs straight to a waiting DVD in the van, never mentioning food.  Whew.

Checking his 02 level before surgery
Waiting for the anesthesiologist


Little tiger gown...so cute!


Our little boy was so brave - he never cried once!  He really seemed to enjoy all the attention he was getting from both of us, once he got over the fact that his brother was staying with a friend while he was not.  The nurse gave him little tiger pants, too, but they were so humongous that she decided his sweats were better! 

I got to go in with the surgery team and hold him while they put him to sleep.  He only wiggled a little in my arms and we sang "Jesus Loves Me," while he fell asleep.  I think the anesthesiologist was a little fuzzy on the words, though.  For my busy little boy to suddenly go limp in my arms was the most bizarre feeling - because he NEVER does that - it's more like wrestling him to sleep if we try holding him!  I only had a second to lay him on the surgery table and slide his lovie blanket into his hand when they whisked me out of the room.  Of course I cried a little. 

Hubs was surprised to see me so soon - by the time I used the restroom and tried to crochet a piece - unsuccessfully I might add - maybe 10 minutes, the procedure was over!  N's doctor had threaded a wire into the left eye's tear duct to stretch it out - that's all it was.  The doctor reported that the surgery went well, gave us some instructions and his phone number in case of a problem, then it was over.  All we had to do was wait for him to wake up, which only took another 15 minutes or so.

He was very cuddly, tremendously thirsty, and a little confused, I think.  I certainly remember the outrageous thirst I felt after my c-section and was prepared with a big cup of apple juice for him.

As I type ten hours afterward, it's like nothing happened at all today.  And that's just the way it should be.  Thank goodness he can go back to operating all his hazardous equipment tomorrow!

1 comment:

The Alexanders said...

I am so glad that everything went well!!