Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Kool-Aid Play Dough

was a hit tonight!  In the spirit of Valentine's Day, and of teaching them NOT to eat the play dough at school, I made pink Kool-Aid Play Dough and bought them their own special plastic cutters for it.  I have fond memories of my mom making us kids big batches of homemade play dough on snow days and thought I'd give it a shot, too.  It turned out nice and soft and smelled like pink lemonade!
Look at that concentration!

Sneakin' a taste!



I <3 you, Mom!

Roll it, and pat it...


I was quite surprised how long they played with the dough because a) the Sesame Street coloring book that I way overpaid for lasted exactly 1 minute, and b) I wouldn't let them eat it. 

This recipe is from my MVMOM cookbook.  Another MoM posted it recently and said hers lasted for years!

Kool-Aid Play Dough
1 c. flour
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 pkg unsweetened Kool-Aid
1/4 c. salt
2 Tbs. cream of tartar
1 c. water
Mix flour, salt, cream of tartar and Kool-Aid in medium saucepan.  Add water and oil.  Stir over heat for 3-5 minutes.  Dough is ready when it forms a ball in the pan.  Remove from heat and knead until smooth.  Place in an airtight container and refrigerate. 

Happy play-dough-ing!

1 comment:

Pam Kelsey said...

How fun! You kids liked the playdough when it was still warm. Looks like they had a great time! They were both concentrating very hard. I love M's tongue hanging out:)