Monday, March 22, 2010

My New Busy Mom's Bible

Ninety-nine percent of my blog is re-telling the crazy days spent at home with my ten-month-old twin sons for the benefit of their grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends who live far away - that includes Daddy, who travels often on business.  But today I'm going to talk about something a little different. 

I got a new Bible last month! 

Huh?  That's newsworthy?

Yes! 

First, I'll tell you why the new Bible is such a great blessing in my life right now.  Then I'll review its cool parts.

I used to be very faithful in my daily devotions - I couldn't conceive of a day in which I didn't spend time reading the Bible, memorizing Scripture, and praying.  When I was single and lonely, praying for God to send me someone special, as well as a direction for my life, we got very close.

Then He answered my prayers and sent me Steve, with whom I'll celebrate 8 adventurous years of marriage in June.  My life got immediately more busy after that with our wedding, college graduations, a cross-country move, traveling, trying to get two careers off the ground, trying to conceive, carrying twins...sounds like a long list of excuses, doesn't it?

It is.

We continued to be active in the church throughout all of that, but as my life got busier and I got more exhausted, I found myself reading my Bible less and less.  Why?  Laziness.  NO excuse is good enough to abandon God's Word.  I found that I was only pulling it out when times were tough.  Thankfully, when we are faithless, He is faithful.

My mother, knowing I would love this, sent me an email about Zondervan giving away 5,000 Busy Mom Bibles - she'd heard about it on her local Christian radio station.  Hey, I could use one!  I'm a busy mom and sure need some inspiration to read my Bible.  I emailed my application, thinking it's worth a shot, even though my odds of winning are slim.

To my great surprise, I received a package a couple of weeks later: a beautiful, HOT PINK LEATHER BOUND BIBLE!  And it was a "slimline" size, meaning it was big enough to read, but small enough to carry around without building muscle - like, (gasp!) to church.  It's SO COOL! I thought.  I wish I'd had one like this back in the day.  I would have been stylin'!



Again, what I used to do faithfully had fallen by the wayside.  My excuses?  My church puts the Scripture on the screen, my study Bible is too big and heavy.  Dumb, dumb, dumb, I know.

Here's where it gets humorous: I really AM a busy mom!  The first time I cracked it open last month - and every night thereafter - was when I was hooked up to my breastpump before bed.  It was my only quiet time during the day!  To breastfeeding moms everywhere, that's not funny because everyone multi-tasks while pumping, but to the elite few who have the privilege of witnessing a breast pump in action, it is a downright hilarious sight! 

So there I am in my pj's, hooked up to the most ridiculous-yet-lifesaving-contraption-ever-invented, reading my very-cool-HOT-PINK Busy Mom's Bible.  A sight to behold!

But you know what?

God showed up. 

Every night.

The past month I've spent my last few waking moments each night with my Bible (and pump), reading God's Word, drinking in passages I've known and loved for years, remembering how much I love to spend time in the Word - from a mother's perspective, now.

Here's where I'll review the cool parts (besides it's beautiful appearance, because we all know that God values inner beauty!).

Hands-down, the best Zondervan-added part are the one-minute thought starters.  There are 52 of them on colorful pages inserted throughout the Bible.  When I don't know what to read or where to start (and that's most days!) I flip to one and start there.

For example, I flipped open to this one, found in Ezekiel.  The top pink box says "Beyond Discouragement - A Crown" and quotes Isaiah 28:5, "In that day the LORD Almighty will be a glorious crown, a beautiful wreath for the remnant of his people."  There is a paragraph afterward explaining how God encourages us with His presence "like a beautiful crown, resting on you and strengthening you."

In just one minute, I was encouraged!

Then the devotion goes on to suggest what to read if you have more time.  Um, I'm attached to an electronic appliance, so I guess I'm not going anywhere.  Yes, I have more time.

I could choose to read Isaiah 28:1-6 on page 591 - by the way, I think adding the page numbers is an AWESOME feature for new Christians who never had the benefit of Sunday School and learning the order of the books of the Bible.

OR, I could choose the 5 minute reflect and pray option, where I am faced with questions to answer, like "Who do you think is an example of hope amid dark circumstances?"

OR, I could choose the 10 minute study, where I am directed to turn to page 1157 for additional verses about my emotions.  When I get there, many emotions are listed, followed by related verses.  For example, page 1157 references my absolute favorite verse in the Bible for anxiety - "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Phillipians 4:6.

THEN, I have a word to take with me for the day: CROWN.

Ah, what mom doesn't deserve a crown?

So, Zondervan, THANK YOU for sending me this beautiful new Bible!  I am rediscovering my relationship with Christ daily and becoming a better wife and mother because of it.

And, thank you to Pastor Rob of River Valley Church for your current series on the Dead Sea Scrolls and for changing our church culture by asking everyone to bring their Bibles!  Look for my cool HOT PINK Bible in the back at noon service (hey, I've got twins in the nursery - do you REALLY think we'll make it on time to get a front row seat?)!

And thanks to MY mom for knowing how much I'd love it!








 

 

4 comments:

Kim and Steve said...

Kimmer, you are wonderful wife and spectacular mother! I love you and I'm proud to be your husband!

April said...

Thanks for sharing that! I too have been in times where I just am too lazy! Sounds like a great bible!

lindsey_aulds said...

Great blog, Kim! It made me tear up for some reason. Maybe it's because I'm so thankful my brother has such a beautiful spirit filled Christian wife and mother of his children!

Mrs. B said...

sounds super awesome! and yes, definitely newsworthy! :)