Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Counting My Blessings

The boys and I were driving this afternoon on a sunshiny country road, pointing out tractors, cows, and horses on our way to family in our congregation.  Three boys lost both parents in just a week's time last month and are living with their grandfather.  We were taking a meal to them - chili and cornbread, one of my favorite comfort foods.  

Since I know my boys are inputting more than they're outputting, I'm trying harder these days to explain things to them.  So I told them we were taking a meal to bless a family whose mommy and daddy died.  Even though I don't know this family, the words were still hard to say and I choked up.  That was the whole conversation.  It lasted just a few seconds.  M said "Neigh" once when we saw a horse and N laughed.  I wonder how I'll explain these types of things in a year or two when they are in the "why?" stage.  I want to be truthful, especially when I'm showing them how to care for others. 

So I'm counting my blessings tonight.  The thought of three boys, ages 18, 12, and 9, growing up without parents brings tears to my eyes.  And if I think about it too much...*sigh*...I think I'll go eat some chili.

2 med. Onions, coarsely chopped
1-1.5 lbs. ground beef, browned and drained
2 garlic cloves, minced
¾ c. finely diced green peppers
2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
30-32 oz beans (kidney and/or pinto)
8 oz can tomato sauce
1 tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. pepper
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1 Tbs. or more chili powder
1 tsp. dried basil

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.  Cover, cook on low 8-12 hours or high 5-6 hours.  I serve it with cornbread muffins and shredded cheese.

 

1 comment:

Lindsey Aulds said...

That is so sad. It makes me tear up too. How sweet of you to bless that family with a meal..