Sunday, January 15, 2012

Day 4: Progress Report

If we were only training M, I would have no idea why potty training is a big deal. However, I do not have a big head with his quick success because I have twins.

M has taken to potty training like a fish to water. He's also highly motivated by M&M's and the faucet. Bingo! He feels it coming and runs to the potty, he cooperates when I tell him it's time to try-he loves his big boy underpants and says repeatedly, "I'm a big boy!". He's a model student. On days 2 and 3, he only had one accident, when he had a number 2, and today he kept his Mr. Incredible underpants dry all day! He's making our job easy.

N. He's got an iron will and a loose cannon. Yesterday he had me in tears and ready to throw in the towel. After the poop debacle he and M delivered- a triple punch - and his refusal to even try, resulting in multiple accidents, as well as getting sprayed myself sitting on the floor in front of him on the toilet ring...it was just too much. Only after they were asleep and I was eating Culver's chocolate custard could I begin to feel better about undertaking the monumental task of potty training.

Today was day 4, though, and I knew we were past the point of no return. N and I had it out in the bathroom this morning, but rather than giving in, I stood my ground and made him "try." wouldn't you know? He went! Tries 2, 3, and 4 were also met with initial resistance, but quicker secession and rewards, until by the end of the day, he was finally trying with just a reminder. Yes, there were still accidents, but just two, and the big news is he stopped when he realized he was going! Here's where I have to say we do underpants during the day in the house. Yes, it's messy, but I know my kid and that a wet diaper doesn't bother him. A wet pull up doesn't bother him, either. But wet underpants DO! I'd rather clean up accidents for a few days than buy pull ups for 6 more months. I'll use them for outings for a bit.

P.S. I don't recommend this method unless you're married to a Mr. Incredible like I am. Without Hubs, I would have quit midway through Day 2.

No comments: